Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Follow my blog with Bloglovin



It never entered my mind that I would drop to a madrasah (a Muslim School) to teach music for a week.

I went there to share what I knew about playing the piano. I never thought that a discovery-filled week awaited me. Suddenly I was transported to a world inhabited by people who love peace, learning and companionship.

TMB Madrasah Montessori instructs children from pre-school to grade five level. My cousin is a Grade One Adviser there and when she invited me to teach for a week, I got very excited to and said 'yes' in a snap. 

Before going there, I researched some information on how to engage with our Muslim kababayans. I also tried to know whether music interests them or what. I read in some internet articles that music is 'haram' (forbidden) for them. But when Teacher Sai told me that they even loved to danced and they performed 'Dayang dayang' in one of their events, my hesitation faded. 

I packed my bags, brought an old tiny casio and travelled from Santa Maria, Laguna to Manila.  I slept in one of the apartments in Pureza. The morning my teaching schedule came, Sai knocked at the door. I myself being ready, we proceeded to MRT station and rode to  Taft. Bicutan, Taguig was the location of the school. 

My level of excitement increased when I arrived the Muslim area . People wearing long dresses and abayas filled the place. Mosques and arabic prints captured my attention. Finally, we arrived the school (which is near Datu Kiram's residence). 

A man with a long skirt opened the gate for us. I didn't know how to greet him. I met Mam, Nelia, the school administrator. She is the wife of Mr. Taha M. Basman, an interfaith dialogue pioneer and the President of the Center for Moderate Muslims.

I really enjoyed teaching the kids. They were cheerful and friendly. More than talking to them, I preferred hearing their stories. I learned that most of them came from Mindanao. Some were sons and daughters of business people and Muslim organization leaders. But one thing I noticed was they were just like me when I was a kid: fun-loving, simple and 'iyakin' when teased. 

In one of our lunch moments, I was introduced to pastil, a binalot rice dashed with meat. I also discovered that Muslims do their lunch earlier due to their da'wah or noon prayer. They wash themselves (abdas) before doing this activity. 

During my freetime, I roamed around the village and visited the blue mosque. Men gathered inside to pray. I also saw the school guard there. After the classes I would travel back to Pureza for a night's sleep. I would ride a tricycle, a jeepney, and mrt train. Tricycles in Bicutan have seats inside facing front and outside, facing the rear. I seated there for a more adventurous feel. I noticed things I didn't see before.

Before leaving the school, the kids gave me a letter containing touching messages. I still have them with me. I will never forget them. 



   
A Halal meat shop located in front of the blue Mosque, Maharlika, Taguig.


Grade One Pupils learning music fundamentals.

A ram living in the mosque garden.

Sarah and her classmates determining the values of the notes.


Sarah is a Grade Five pupil who loves to put powder
on her face.


The boys eating their lunch. Hotdogs, instant
noodles and canned goods were some of
their meal faves.


A shot in the school grounds with Princess Iman .

0 comments :

Post a Comment